The Goto Family (japanese/nihongo:後藤ファミリー) is a powerful Yakuza syndicate/family that comes from Japan and who is one of the two most powerful families in the underworld of crime in Jakarta.
Founded and led by Hideaki Goto, the powerful leader/head/boss/oyabun (godfather) of Goto Family and Yakuza (or the Japanese mafia), this crime syndicate came from Japan to Indonesia sometime between The Raid: Redemption and The Raid 2: Berandal or before the events of the two films. His son Keiichi Goto is his heir and one of the main lieutenants of this powerful criminal empire. Ryuichi is Goto's right hand man, the main lieutenant, bodyguard and interpreter.
The Raid 2: Berandal eventsEdit
They appear first when Lieutenant Bunawar will meet Rama after he leaves the funeral of his brother Andi, in which he offers the work of undercover police officer in the Bangun's crime syndicate to eliminate Bangun's criminal empire and unmask corrupt police officers through a gang war. In this he mentions that the criminal underworld of Jakarta is dominated by the Bangun's criminal syndicate, the most powerful family of Indonesian Mafia and the Goto Family, the most powerful Yakuza syndicate and the most powerful Yakuza syndicate outside of Japan. After Rama gain the confidence of Uco in prison, the psychopath, dangerous and crazy by the power son and heir of Bangun, he and Uco go to Bangun's headquarters. At this moment a meeting is shown between Bangun and Hideaki Goto, the founder and head of Goto Family, in which they talk about the problem involving a certain crime lord named Bejo and the fact that he is stealing territory from both the Indonesian mafia and the Japanese mafia. At this moment, Uco and Rama arrive at the headquarters of Bangun and end up meeting with Keiichi Goto, son and heir of Hideaki Goto. Hideaki Goto has as one of the main allies Reza, the police commissioner and the main antagonist of franchise who betrays him in favor of Bejo, what ends up causing a confusion between Bangun and Goto, since Goto thinks that it was Bangun that made Reza betray him (Later knowing that it was a joint plan between Bejo and the nefarious and psychopathic son of Bangun, Uco, that ends up killing his own father). But the plan of Bejo and Uco ends up having bloody end, when Uco discovers that Bejo has the same tattoo as the guy who tried to kill him in prison: Uco ends up going crazy and killing Bejo, and tries to kill Rama, but Rama ends up killing Uco (after eliminating half of the members of Bejo's Gang). Without knowing it, Goto ends up sending his son Keiichi and his right hand man/bodyguard/interpreter Ryuichi and various other members of Goto's Yakuza to kill Bejo and Uco, but when they get there (at Bejo's headquarters), discovers that Rama did (so to speak) their work. Satisfied to see that, Keiichi offers Rama a place as a member of the Yakuza, which Rama immediately refuses, saying, "No, I'm done", leaving the way free for the Yakuza to take over all those territories left by Bangun, Uco and Bejo.
- Hideaki Goto (founder, head/boss/oyabun/godfather of Goto Family and father of Keiichi Goto, current).
- Keiichi Goto (son and heir of Hideaki Goto, heir and one of main lieutenants of Goto Family, current).
- Ryuichi (the main lieutenant of Goto Family, right hand man, bodyguard, hitman and interpreter of Hideaki Goto, current).
- Several other members (current, some deceased)
- Kenichi Endo, the actor who plays Hideaki Goto is well known in Asia for his Yakuza roles in films and series. Before Hideaki Goto, he had already played a Yakuza boss in Crows Zero and Crows Zero 2, in the role of Joji Yazaki (Note: The main difference between Joji Yazaki and Hideaki Goto is that Joji Yazaki is the main villain/antagonist of Crows Zero and Crows Zero 2, while Hideaki Goto is the main anti-hero of The Raid 2: Berandal).
- Kazuki Kitamura, the who plays Ryuichi, of the three Japanese actors, he is best known to the Indonesian public because of the Indonesian-Japanese film Killers of 2014, in which he plays the villain of the film, Nomura Shuhei, the Japanese sociopath and the protagonist's nemesis.
- If we analyze the three syndicates of the crime of the film and the police, we will realize that the Yakuza is the most "innocent" between all the organizations present in the film: half of Indonesian police is corrupt (see The Raid: Redemption) and the two main groups of the Indonesian mafia were fighting each other (so much that one destroyed the other). With that one can say that of all organizations in the film, the cleanest and innocent of the film (ironically) is the Yakuza (Goto Family).
- Apparently the third film of the franchise would focus on the Goto Family and how they came from Japan to Indonesia. But as Gareth Evans (the director of the franchise) decided to move back to Wales (his home country) with his wife and daughter in 2016, the idea ended up being discarded.